Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Decisions

I found an image online a few months ago that really struck me. It was a photo of a girl standing on the side of the road with a suitcase behind her. In red ink across the photo, someone had written, "I'm afraid of how the decisions I'm making are going to affect the rest of my life." 

It hit me. That is what I an afraid of. In a way I am almost more afraid of the decisions I am not making.

Today at work though, we were taking about future projects and where the company should be in a few years time. I started to think, that maybe I do have a future there. The degree I am getting right now might not be needed for said career, but it will be nice to have nonetheless. And it will be something that no one can take away from me.

I'm constantly wondering though: am I making the right choices in my life. Right now I could be married to a wonderful man and I would probably be happier than I am right now. But I just didn't think it was the right time for me. I needed someone who could be around more. And that decision has affected the rest of my life. I feel as if I have so much more potential because I decided to walk away. I have the potential to have a happier life. Which ever decision I had made at that point still would have lead me to happiness, so maybe all of the decisions we face in life aren't as scary as we make them out to be. They are just there as options. If we don't choose anything than we are stuck in a holding pattern and we never grow, we never learn. So decisions, whether we do the right thing or not, are still good. They are still important. And they affect our lives no matter what.

So we should just smile and trust in ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment